WikimediaDebug is a set of tools for debugging and profiling MediaWiki web requests in a production environment. WikimediaDebug can be used through the accompanying browser extension, or from the command-line. This post highlights changes we made to WikimediaDebug over the past year, and explains more generally how its capabilities work.
We’re taking part in the ongoing Event Timing Chrome origin trial, in order to experiment with that API early and give feedback to its designers.
When we set out to ask Wikipedia visitors their opinion of page load performance, our main hope was to answer an age-old question: which RUM metric matters the most to users? And more interestingly, which ones matter the most to our users on our content.
Unlike most websites, Wikipedia and its sister projects are ad-free. This is actually one of the reasons why our performance is so good. We don’t have to deal with slow and invasive third-parties.
We’ve recently published research on performance perception that we did last year. The micro survey used in this study is still running on multiple Wikipedia languages and gives us insights into perceived performance.
In the search for a better user experience metric, we have tried out the upcoming Element Timing for Images API in Chrome.
Today we’re publishing our first report of the performance experienced by visitors of Wikimedia websites, focused on the Autonomous Systems visitors are connecting from.
Here are ways we debug issues in production when users report bugs.
Looking back at our ups and downs.